Do I Need a Plumber or Heating Engineer?

Who should you call if you're looking for somebody to install a new boiler?

Who should you reach out to if your radiator has stopped working?

Who should you get in touch with if a pipe connected to your central heating system has started leaking?

Who do you call? A plumber? A gas engineer?

We know, it's confusing to know who to call when you have a plumbing/heating problem in your home. That's why in this short blog post we're going to cover off what plumbers do, what gas engineers do and hopefully help you choose who to call when you next having a plumbing/heating problem.

Why the confusion?

The confusion between plumbers and gas engineers mostly comes from the plumbing side. 

That's because most modern plumbers tend to do more than just fix leaking pipes and fit new toilets, they also tend to fit and install radiators, powerflush central heating systems and carry out other services that are closely related to the gas side.

The only difference is, plumbers are legally unable to work on gas appliances because they require a Gas Safe qualification.

For example, a gas engineer can fix a faulty gas boiler, whereas a plumber can't. And whilst a gas engineer can technically fix a leaking pipe, they might not offer that service. 

What services do plumbers offer?

  • Pipework (Water Supply Only). 
  • Leaks in pipes (Water Supply Only). 
  • Bathroom installations 
  • Appliances connections and disconnections (e.g. dishwashers, washing machines etc.)
  • Waste disposal systems. 
  • Testing and fault finding (Water and Drainage Only). 
  • Water Storage tanks and cylinder installations
  • Inspection and/or reports. 

What services do gas engineers offer?

  • Boiler installations
  • Boiler servicing and repairs
  • Gas Safety certificates
  • Gas appliances connections and disconnections (gas fires, gas cookers etc.)
  • Heating controls
  • Central heating pumps

Most gas engineers are able to carry out the above plumbing services, but some might choose not to.

Do you need a plumber or gas engineer in York?

We hope the above helps you choose who to call when you have a plumbing/heating problem.

Luckily when you call us, we carry out almost all of the above services. To get in touch with our plumbers/gas engineers in York, please give us a call on 07834 168464 or 01904 373075 or send us a message using our contact form.